“All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” -T.E. Lawrence
I’m going to chronicle a new journey. This journey will bring tears, joy, new curls in my brain, and if the Lord is willing a new future.
I am going to learn the art of programing.
Specifically I endeavor to speak the language of machines (well, the “high level languages”). I have beseeched the aid of a good fellow at my church by the name of David Mikesell. He holds a doctorate in computer science and does this stuff for a living. Were I to generously compare things, he is Yoda and I am Anakin Skywalker – sans the wimpy character and poor acting.
Short term goals:
– Complete MIT’s OpenCourseWare course “Introduction to Computer Science and Programming” within three months tops (that puts me somewhere around May)
– Brush up/expand my math skills on Khan Academy (check it out at http://www.khanacademy.com – tis amazing)
– Add to this blog at least once a week… I’ll start off modest.
Medium term goals:
– Grasp HTML 5 before I join Mr. Mikesell at a conference in July on the subject
– Publish my first simple App on Apple’s App Store before years end.
Long term goals:
– Fly to Mars and establish the Mechanicum (a nerdy Warhammer 40,000 reference)
Lastly, I’m too cheap to pay for a fancy blog at this point. Endure.